Wednesday 4 February 2015

Double Weave and Illusion inspired by Marian Stubenitsky

Marian Stubenitsky posted some photos today of some superb woven panels based on optical illusion and it got me thinking as I have had the classic curved line illusion in mind for some time: since I started looking at the Hubble images.


 With a warp already on the loom, I had just finished a new, very geometric draw-down using this threading from the last project and it gave me the idea that I could use the double weave to create patches of the (diagonal) twill as in (b) then mess-around with the treadling to control the colour mix  across these areas, using the horizontal weft lines, to give the impression of curves.


To my un-ending surprise, it worked!















I changed the tie up method to the one on p111 (which is particularly easy with my software) as it's much easier to see what your doing in each layer.


Right, off to weave it now though I might modify these treadling design lines in Photoshop first so I can stretch them x4, as I know this is going to weave at 16th/cm, so it's going to have an aspect ratio of 13/16 and would prefer much elongated diamond ending up with a 35cm x 110cm panel.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Mike, that's a quick design reaction to your inspiration by Marian's photos! Looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Margreet. Sub-zero outside today so its a day in front of the fire with my head in books and the computer lol

    ReplyDelete