Wednesday 19 October 2011

Expo Expression Sonere "Tubular Bells"

I have the concept design for the piece for the 2012 Fils et metier Expo in France. It's called "Tubular Bells" as the expo theme is "Expressions of Sound".
The concept is of an array of fabric, tubular bells incorporating electro-luminescent wire, suspended in an ascending scale array. The array will react to external sounds by emitting light depending on pitch and volume, giving a sound-to-light effect. It's a great opportunity to work in mixed materials and 3D sculpture which is commonly a feature of this particular exhibition; the interactive materials will, I hope, be a first!!

The main design feature will, of course, be the woven tubes. Colour....COLOUR .... MORE COLOUR!!! I will weave a series of different length tubes in double-weave with randomly irridescent-dyed silk warp and a weft dyed on hanks which are wound to match the tube length - that will enable me to control the way the weft colour pattern develops.
The electro-luminescent wire will be would into each tube.

I need to get the silk yarn and the dyes when I go to the UK next week, so I can get cracking when I return at the end of the month......
Meantime it's onto detailed design and choosing the weave structures.

No comments:

Post a Comment