Saturday 23 June 2012

A New Range of Table Lamps

I have had several designs for table lamps made entirely from fabric for some time in my notebook and finally got round to doing one - I have to say I am VERY pleased.
I have woven some linen with a subtle lace pattern and also a transparency, like the "Lark Rising", with beads inset.
The vitrification of the linen for the lampshade worked first time! None of the texture of the cloth has been lost as it was moulded around a plastic tube - the inside surface is hard and shiny from the vitrifier, but the outer surface is unchanged in texture and colour - Brill!!
I used the same process for the base as I want my designs to be entirely in handwoven cloth. Using the transparency-woven cloth to mould it freestyle around a 'boss' which will take the lanp fitting. The combination matches the rather 'gothic' aspect of the design theme I want to pursue.  This was only meant to be a practice but it worked first time.

With the lampshade in place, I just love it!!
We will see what Joe-public think when they are on the craft stand on 21st July as I should have the whole range (12 designs based around the same theme) to display...Not for sale as I have my own exhibition planned for September.

1 comment: