Tuesday 3 July 2012

Lamps in Doubleweave

The first of 6 lamps to be woven in double weave.  I wanted to produce an open but stiff base layer for the lampshade structural material with a very open transparent top layer which I could shape and mould around the shade.  This first one has the second layer attached only at one end. This allowed me to roll it up out of the way whilst I vitrified the linen cloth into a tube. The rigid tube was then shaped and finally, I was able to unroll the top layer and curve and shape it before attaching its open end. 




Shite photo, but you get the idea!!
The layer effect is fantastic and the support given by the linen allows the top layer to be attached in places to make folds and also to drape naturally where it remains unattached.




The remaining ones will use this technique and also weaving in the two layers in places to form pockets which will be used to make it 3 dimensional - in this case I can't vitrify the base layer so these cloths will be attached to a celophane layer before being formed.

 A 10/3  Linen warp 12" wide, variable set at 8-12epi with the second layer at just 5epi. The base layer weft is 8 lea's linen, plain weave to produce a firm but fairly open cloth to form around the vitrified tube. The second layer used a fancy yarn in the weft woven open (4-6 picks layer 1, 2 picks layer 2)

2 comments:

  1. The more I look at these, the more I see and the more fascinating they become! I don't suppose you will want to share details of the vitrification process!! Never seen anything like them and I really hope they are well-received and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jane. I DO SO wish I could get decent photos though as so little of the detail shows in these pics. I have 2 more woven and ready to turn into shades and a couple more to follow that. When I am happy that I know the pitfalls, what works well and what doesn't, I will post on it.

    ReplyDelete