Tuesday 1 April 2014

Progress with Marche Des Tisserands Expo Piece

With the Exhibition theme of ' Tales and Legends' I have been thinking around the general theme of Good vs Evil, which pervades most fairy tales. I thought specifically of Snow White and the wicked Queen and  "Mirror, Mirror in my hand, who is the fairest in the land". Magic mirrors are also something that appear in may fairy tales and legends.

My title is "Mirror, Mirror!" and I am working on having two woven pieces facing each other, either in a frame or with a woven border that gives the impression of a mirror's frame. I also want each to be an 'opposite; either structure, colour or  pattern. I want it 3-D - so thinking of using the vacuum forming process so at the moment - first design is two, framed pieces with 'opposing' faces in relief - one serene, the other evil.

This is the test for the serene face, vacuum-formed in a spare, loose woven piece I did ages ago. It's very in-elastic (and rather thick/heavy) so with a more elastic weft, it shows me I can get a very 'high' relief without distorting the cloth.

Viewed from a distance, the overall impression is clearer as to what it will look like on a wall. Now I have to work on the evil face; finding an approach that makes it clearly 'opposite'

I like the effect the light/dark on the face gives.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting project, great idea. Looking forward to seeing how you develop further.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you get it finished and ready in time!

    ReplyDelete