Tuesday 16 August 2011

Working Title "30/30"

I have finished the design sufficiently to start the main back-cloth - I say back-cloth because this is going to be in layers. I have worked out what I think is a twill (so ignorant!) on an ascending undulating pattern. This gives me the squares and diamonds I want for the crytals of the sand, and the overall pattern incorporates the shapes of drifting and a set of tyre tracks.
I have a striking 'hot' orange with a dark blue which reproduce the 'desert sunset' colours beautifully; the test piece shows this and there are some great half-tones in the pattern.



Once off the loom it will be 'sculpted' into an undulating shape to further replicate the dunes - a small amount of powdered PVA is added to the wash and its then steamed onto a former.
The second and third layers are sky/dunes
and one of three design ideas I have to incorporate the confluence and cairn of petrowood.




No comments:

Post a Comment