Friday 2 May 2014

Marche Des Tisserands Expo Design Fabric Finalised

I have settled on a threading of 4 shaft huck lace for the majority of the piece. Two blocks of the same threading using 8 shafts. This allows me to have a central rectangle in either plain weave (as shown) or any huck lace preset.

The remaining 24 shafts are threaded as a straight draw and reversed on the left. These will be used for the motif designs. The title text is shown here; in 3/1twill with a broken twill background (yes, I did re-programme Photoshop!). It remains to be seen how visible the text will be; but as it is subtitled 'On voit que l'on veut voir'......who cares! :-o 
I may invert the two twills so the text is weft not warp once I have done a test section  as the set I have chosen should make the fabric  slightly weft faced in the twill.

The whole threading allows me to have plain weave in any block and huck as borders and/or inner pattern areas.

Warp is 300 ends @ 20epi threaded 10 ends 8/2 gold tencel, 10 ends 8/2 silver spun silk repeated. There will be secondary ends of fancy yarn on the second warp beam, used differently for each of the pieces woven. I have chosen a sett for plain weave rather than twill because I need sufficient movement in the interlacement to allow the fabric to form over the mask moulds.

I have two designs options once the pieces are woven; there will be four pieces:-
Design 1 is based on the idea of a Giant's Story Book; an oversize (A3) book  with woven front cover (as shown above) with the title in the motif.  Inner 2 pages will be the vac. formed faces in relief and the fourth piece is the back cover. Depending on how this mocks up, or not as the case may be:

Design 2 will use the 4 pieces hung on a wooden staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment